Dr. K.Meena, Secretary
Dr. K. Meena sketches an illustrious professional career with 35 years of Administrative and Teaching Experience. She is abundantly versatile in Academics, Research, Educational Leadership, Corporate networking, Social Outreach and Literary Creativity. Dr.Meena is an eloquent speaker, and is adept in creating and maintaining high performance teams. She has visited Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius, Oman and Sri Lanka to showcase her academic talents
- First Woman & 9th Vice-Chancellor of Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli.(2010 – 2013)
- Syndicate Member of Anna University, Chennai (2008 - 2010)
- Member of the Standing Committee on Affiliation of Anna University, Chennai (2009 - 2010)
- Member of the Academic Council of Anna University, Chennai (2006 - 2009)
- Two times Syndicate Member of Bharathidasan University.(1999- 2005)
- Senate Member (Ex-Officio), Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapaplli for 14 years. (1996-2010)
- Member of Planning Board of Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli (2009-2012)
- Member of Standing Committee on Academic Affairs of Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli (2001- 2003)
- NAAC Assessor (Chairperson) for the past 6 years.
- 15 years of Educational Leadership as Principal, Shrimati Indira Gandhi College.
- An active researcher specializing in Artificial Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence, Image Processing, Pattern Recognition and Bio-Informatics, who has guided 11 doctoral and 62 candidates to completion.
- Has 198 International Journal articles with 129 citations to her credit.
- Editorial board member in International Journals like IJOER, BMSR, IJSRET.
- Has authored 11 books in Computer Science, I.T & Computer Applications and has written 7 Tamil Literary Books.
- A ardent social worker winning several awards for her services for empowerment of women and literacy and education of physically challenged children.
- Has developed software tools for Mentally Retarded, Hearing Impaired, Dyslexia, Residual Vision, Autism and Down Syndrome Children.
- Has also developed Skill Soft (Part – I & II) – “A Learning Guide for Skill Development and Mathematics Readiness for Autistic and Differently Endowed Children”.
- M.E & Ph.D in Computer Science & Engineering from Anna University.
- Gold Medalist and 1st rank holder in M.Sc Physics
OTHER ADVISORY POSITIONS HELD
- Member of Advisory Committee for NAAC Sponsored National Conference on “Impact of Assessment and Accreditation on Higher Professional Institutes” at KIT’s College of Engineering, Kolhapur on 13.1.2017 and 14.1.2017
- Advisory Committee Member, UGC-Academic Staff College, Bharathiyar University (State University), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu (2013)
- Advisory Committee Member of NSS, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli (2000- 2005 & 2009-2012)
- Chairperson, Disciplinary Committee, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli. (2002-2005)
- Member of Research Committee (2006), Syndicate Sub-Committee of Distance Education (1999-2002), Sports Committee (1999-2002) and Disciplinary Committee (1999-2002) of Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli
- Selection Committee Member for Recruitment of Dean (College Development Council), Alagappa University, Karaikudi (2017)
- Executive Council Member of the Search Committee for recommending panel of three names to the Chancellor for OTHER ADVISORY POSITIONS HELD appointment of Vice – Chancellor to Mother Teresa Women’s University (State University), Kodaikonal. (2015)
- Committee Member to frame the Regulations and Guidelines for the Distance Education / Off-Campus Programmes of Tamil Nadu Music and Fine Arts University (State University), Chennai, Tamil Nadu (2015)
- Interview Committee Member for the conduct of Personality Test (Oral Test) for appointment of Group-I services of Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC), Chennai (2013)
- UGC Nominee – Bharathidasan Govt. College for Women, Pondicherry (2004-2010) and Rajah Sarfoji Government College, Thanjavur (2004-2010)
- Nominee of External Experts of Academic Council, Regional Engineering College (Now NIT), Tiruchirappalli (2000-2002)
- University Representative – Chidambaram Pilliai College for Women, Manachanallur (2008-2011), Kurunji College of Arts & Science, Trichy (2006-2009), Sri Saradha College for Women, Perambalur (2006 – 2009 & 2009-2012), Kalaikaveri College of Fine Arts, Trichy (2004-2007), Srimad Andavan College of Arts & Science, Trichy (2004-2007), Jamal Mohammed College of Arts & Science, Trichy (2003-2005) and Chettinad College of Arts & Science (2001- 2004)
AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
- Gavoty France Award by Salon De Provence for the software tools developed to teach differently abled children.
- National Award for having developed the skills for differently abled by Government of India.
- Best Social Service Award by Government of Tamil Nadu
- Best Teacher Award by Government of Tamil Nadu
- Young Scientist Award by Science City, Chennai, Government of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Scientist Award by Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology
- Young Achievers Award by Dinamalar.
- Lifetime Achievement Award by Trinity Mirror
- SPEEK@CON KNOWLEDGE CONNECTIVITY KALAM AWARD by South Zone Board of Continuing Education
- Best Woman Award by Center for Women Studies Bharathidasan University
OTHER LEADERSHIP POSITIONS HELD
- Founder-President of the Internet Users’ Club of Trichy. Instrumental to a larger extent in founding the Internet User’s Club of Trichy and bringing Internet Facility to the Trichy in the year 1998
- Vice President, Menstrual Hygiene Management Consortium (MHMC), Tiruchirappalli (2018 onwards)
- President, ENABLE, Tiruchirappalli (2016 onwards)
- Member, IEEE (Madras Section) (01.01.2019 onwards)
- Fellow Member, The Institution of Engineers, India (31.1.2019 onwards)
- Life Member of the Trichy Chapter of Computer Society of India (1992 onwards) and Institution of Engineers, India (2013 onwards) (Membership No. F-124886-5)
- Spearheaded the institution in attaining ‘A’ Grade in NAAC for the past two cycles.
- Spearheaded the IT ON WHEELS project to empower rural school children, SHG women and professionals to use computer as a tool for learning, entrepreneurship and employment.
- Conducted more than 100 training the trainers workshop to carry forward her goals to empower the society.
COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY TAKEN TO MASSES:
SOCIAL OUTREACH ACTIVITIES
- Contributed commendably to the Development of Rural Women through several extension and outreach activities
- Propagation of Sanitation, Health and Hygiene messages across women in rural and urban area
- Acting as a consultant with SEVAI / Gramalaya / SCOPE in the area of inclusive education for differently abled children (Preparation of Software Tools) / Vocational Training Programmes / Computer Training Programme for self help group of women / construction of toilets / School health invention / Sanitation and Hygiene Education for all age groups and sectors of the society like Children, Adolescent, SHG Women etc., / computer Literacy Programmes / Construction of Individual and Community Toilet / Solid Waste Management Scheme / Menstrual Hygiene Management / Eco Sanitation etc., from 1995 to till date
- Received Rs. 1,00,000/- from Society for Education Village Action Improvement (SEVAI) Objectif France – INDE for Research and Development of Education invention for the benefit of the Mentally Challenge disabled children for the period of 3 Years
- Coordinated with SCOPE, specializing in the field of sanitation to construct the toilets in the village Theraniyampatty. The Project was funded by the Government of India, Government of TamilNadu and WASTE. The cost of the construction of 60 toilets in the village was Rs. 6,00,000/-
- Coordinated with SCOPE, specializing in the field of Construction of Individual Household toilet in the houses and separately toilet Blocks for Schools in Thuraiyur Block, Tiruchirappalli. The Project was funded by LIXIL India Pvt., Ltd., Japan. The cost of the construction of household toilets was fittings Rs.12,00,000/-
- Coordinated with SCOPE, specializing in the field of Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) for adolescent girls and Sanitation related activities in Thuraiyur Block, Tiruchirappalli District. The Project was funded by the State Planning Commission under State Balance Growth Fund (SBCF). The cost of the Sustainable Open Defecation free Project is Rs. 88,00,000/-